How to Declutter and Keep It That Way!
Between shuffling the kids from school to soccer practice and working a long day. The last thing we want to come home to is clutter. No matter how hard we try to keep our home clutter-free, it can creep up on you fast. So, my solution is to get the kids involved as well.
Here’s my 7 tips on how to declutter and keep it that way…
- Tackle one room at a time. To avoid becoming overwhelmed, pick one room and focus on it before moving on to your next project.
- Practice the “in-out rule” – For every one new item, get rid of an old one. This is great to make sure you only own one pair of those fuzzy slippers instead of accumulating 5 pairs.
- Make cleaning up fun for your kids by making it a game! Add incentive, who can clean their room the fastest gets to pick the next movie for family movie night! Parents, if you want to pick the movie you better clean your room quick!
- Have a vision for the room you’re cleaning. What is the purpose of the room, how do you want it to function and look? Anything that distracts from your vision and the purpose doesn’t belong in the room. For inspiration, scroll through Pinterest.
- Teach your kids how to sort and organize. Teaching organization skills while the kids are young and making it a habit for them will set them up for success when they get older.
- Have a place designated for everything and make sure everyone knows where things are. Scissors go in the scissor drawer, so when you are done with them put them back! This tip will also prevent you from purchasing items that you already have because it is not in the designated spot.
- When cleaning out “junk” or utensil drawers, use the cardboard box test. Put everything from the drawer in a box. As you need it, get it out and put it back in the drawer. After a month or two, whatever is left in the box, you don’t need. Donate it! It will feel good to get rid of some of those unnecessary items!
Don’t let the clutter keep you from inviting friends over, throwing a party, or freaking out when Aunt Jane stops by for a surprise visit! By doing a little bit every day and keeping the kids involved, it will help keep your home clutter-free! And everyone is invested! Thanks for joining me on this journey to a clutter free home, and feel free to comment below. Give me a call if I can help in anyway while the mortgage rates are at all-time lows!