TOW: 5 Steps to Hire an Awesome Realtor
Selling a home can be tricky and complex. The most important decision a homeowner makes when selling is who they will hire to sell their home. A great Realtor can make the difference between a home selling or not. Hiring an agent should be similar to hiring any employee. So here are my 5 steps to hiring the right agent to sell your home:
- Step 1. Invite them to do a listing presentation – Ask questions. Are they full or part time? How do they determine a home’s value? How do they prefer to communicate with their sellers? How do they plan to market your home?
- Step 2. Request To Contact Past Clients – Yes, check their references. Make those calls. Plus, look on line for testimonials on Yelp and Zillow.
- Step 3. Check the Realtor’s Sales History – Again, ask questions. How many homes have you sold in my neighborhood? How many homes on average do you sell a year? What percentage of your business is repeat and referral business? Ask for the list to sales price ratio as well as average DOM or days on market.
- Step 4. What is Their Marketing Strategy – Check out their website and social media sites. Do they have a good online presence? Do they use print media? Do they do open houses? Watch out for the “post and pray” agent that puts the “for sale” sign in the yard and prays it sells.
- Step 5. Trust Your Gut – And finally, how well do you click with the agent? Do they seem trustworthy? If they give you advice on how to cover up potential problems, then question their integrity. Just trust your gut.
Hiring the right Realtor is critical. Not doing so can be a huge mistake, and a costly one at that! Agents that are willing to invest money into marketing your home is a great advantage. You want a Realtor that is working in your best interest. Watch out for those that just want to get the listing and bank on this market for your home to sell quickly no matter what they do. More than likely they won’t get the best value your home can bring. They should be skilled at negotiations and working hard for you. If I can help with a preapproval for your next home loan or give you referrals to awesome agents I know and trust, then give me a call. Thanks for joining me for another Your Home Connection tip and I’ll see you next week.